What’s a college all about? Well, it is all about knowing how to choose a major, plan a career and get education to fulfill your future commitments. Of course, there are students who are actually aware of the college major they want to choose and their career ambition. But, there is a large number of students out there that are not well prepared when it comes to choosing a college major. Finally, when they arrive on the college campus, they just rush into a decision. The very first piece of advice for these students is – don’t panic.
Surprisingly enough, most of the students in colleges change their college major at least once in their career while there are some others that do it many times. It is, therefore, very essential to choose a career path which is an ideal one for you. Career planning is a long process. So, students should be ready to devote as much time to planning it as possible.
1. Do not just rush into a decision when it is about choosing a college major. In order to plan an appealing career for yourself, you need to examine your talents and skills and make an assessment of your interests. Today, there are a number of free career assessment tests and tools available on the internet to help you. These free career tests enable you to make a well informed decision about your career.
2. Try to know about what you value most in work. It is very important to be aware of your personal values. How do you want to make an impact on the people’s lives? How do you wish to contribute towards the growth of the community? Important values include contributing to the society, working under pressure, working independently or in group, stability, security etc.
3. The third important point is to explore career opportunities. Various college and universities also offer resources through which you can explore careers and occupations. Besides knowing about specific occupations, you should also do some research to know the future trends for these careers and occupations. You can also make use of various career exploration tools.
4. Next most important thing is to perform a reality check. Are you really interested in the healthcare industry and becoming a doctor? Ask yourself other questions like this and try to figure out what advanced degrees you require to fulfill your future commitments. You will come across multiple hurdles while doing a reality check. It may happen that you are interested in the field of human resources but your father wants you to step into the field of engineering. Just be realistic and try to overcome these obstacles.
5. The final step is definitely to narrow down your choices to be able to focus on choosing a college major. On the basis of the self assessment that you did, you can get an idea about what interests you and what does not. Decide about the careers and majors that you are interested in.
Resources You Can Use For Choosing a College Major
College’s course catalog, Professors, Classmates, College’s alumni, Family and friends, College’s career centre etc.